Sunday, January 10, 2010

Eggnog


Today I decided that I like eggnog. It only took about 6 years. :) My first taste of eggnog was December 2003 when my roommate bought some and had me try it. Then I married my husband who loves eggnog and buys it every Christmas. I would try and drink it with him, but I could never fully enjoy it. I had to add milk to lessen the flavor and egginess. Plus just the thought of drinking eggs raw is still a little disgusting to me.
I bought some of the last eggnog at the store last week so I could try a recipe that looked good from my new cookbook. I made the cookies today, and tasted the eggnog...and liked it! Maybe it's the different brand, or maybe my taste for eggnog has finally acquired. :) I'm not sure, but it was really good and now I'm a little sad that I started to like it after Christmas! I have to wait until next Christmas to see if this is for real. But until then at least I can enjoy my Eggnog Cookies! Do you like eggnog or is that a tradition you avoid?

Eggnog Cookies
from the Worldwide Ward Christmas Cookbook

2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. eggnog
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
additional nutmeg for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well with a whisk and set aside. Cream sugar and butter until a grainy paste forms. Stir in eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks. Beat at medium speed until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Back 7-9 minutes, or until bottoms turn light brown. Makes 30 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment