Thursday, April 1, 2010

Project 52: Date 2

Fireproof

This weekend for our date we watched this movie called Fireproof. Have you heard of it? I hadn't. It is about "fireproofing" your marriage. I really liked it, even with the cheesy acting and Southern Baptist overtones. :) It had a really good message and was really sweet. It made me even more grateful for my happy marriage. Real love isn't something you fall into and out of with any passing whim. Love should be uplifting and sometimes you have to choose to love. Marriage is worth fighting for.
This movie made me realize how selfish I am at times and reminded me of a great talk on marriage given by Gordon B. Hinckley. Here is a portion of it:

Why all of these broken homes? What happens to marriages that begin with sincere love and a desire to be loyal and faithful and true one to another?

There is no simple answer. I acknowledge that. But it appears to me that there are some obvious reasons that account for a very high percentage of these problems. I say this out of experience in dealing with such tragedies. I find selfishness to be the root cause of most of it.

I am satisfied that a happy marriage is not so much a matter of romance as it is an anxious concern for the comfort and well-being of one’s companion.

Selfishness so often is the basis of money problems, which are a very serious and real factor affecting the stability of family life. Selfishness is at the root of adultery, the breaking of solemn and sacred covenants to satisfy selfish lust. Selfishness is the antithesis of love. It is a cankering expression of greed. It destroys self-discipline. It obliterates loyalty. It tears up sacred covenants. It afflicts both men and women.

Too many who come to marriage have been coddled and spoiled and somehow led to feel that everything must be precisely right at all times, that life is a series of entertainments, that appetites are to be satisfied without regard to principle. How tragic the consequences of such hollow and unreasonable thinking!

If you want to be a part of Project 52, go here.

2 comments:

  1. my in-law were over this last week. they kept talking about this movie. i'll have to rent that next. thanks for sharing and happy dating!
    tiffany {Simply Modern Mom}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this movie! We watched it a while ago and I was surprised at how good it is. So uplifting, and definitely needed in this world. Great quote too.

    ReplyDelete