Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I forgot!

When I was writing my previous post, I completely forgot another funny thing about that song! That song reminds me of this story.
This is a story that happened to me my second year at BYU. I had a scheduled final the very last day of finals, which was like the 22 of December. My roommates had both left to go home for Christmas and so I was home alone for one night. I didn't think it would be a big deal...but I was pretty terrified. I've never been good alone at night anyway...and pretty much everyone around me was gone--almost no neighbors even. It sure gets dark on winter nights too! I had finished studying for my final and even though it was midnight, I was too nervous to sleep. So I tried to occupy myself by packing my stuff to go home the next day and I turned the radio on (we didn't have a TV or computer) to a station that was playing all Christmas music. Well everything was going fine until someone KNOCKED on my door! I was really terrified, it was midnight a few days before Christmas. This part of town was pretty much deserted with all the students going home...who would be knocking on the door? Plus, I had all the lights on so whoever it was KNEW someone was there. I went and looked through the peephole and all I could see was a dark figure. I could tell it was a male, with a dark coat on. I couldn't make out a face. And then the man put HIS EYE UP TO THE PEEPHOLE! It was just like being in a scary movie! After that he kept knocking, harder. I was pretty sure he wasn't going to go away. I was so afraid, I didn't know what to do. I grabbed my cell phone and thought...if I answered the door and he had wanted to try to kidnap me or something, maybe he would see my phone and change his mind because I could call someone? I actually think that I called my mom and told her what was happening, but I can't remember now. I also remembered that upstairs there were two brothers who hadn't left to go home for Christmas yet, and maybe they would hear me scream if I needed to. So...I answered the door. And it was a guy in my ward. Oh boy, a huge wave of relief washed over me when I saw him. I wanted to hug him and let him steady my nerves. He had had been visiting another girl in my ward but then had to leave at midnight because of the Honor Code at BYU. He saw the lights on in our apartment and thought he would see why someone was up late, so we talked for a few minutes through the doorway until he got too cold. I think he even told me he could call me if I got scared during the night, but I'm not sure about that either. Anyway, it's a fun story. And the Louis Armstrong song reminds me of this experience if you listen to the words. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment