Friday, July 1, 2011
Patriotic Decor and Ideas
Patriotic Outdoor Party Décor and Ideas
July is filled with outdoor parties, picnics, and barbecues. Create a festive atmosphere with simple and unique red, white and blue décor. Also use some fun patriotic food your guests will love as part of the decor!
Studio 5 Party, Holiday and Ideas Contributor, Alisa Bangerter shares creative ideas for the perfect holiday barbeque.
Some creative ideas to make your outdoor party great:
· Use a stencil and washable tempra paint to paint red white and blue stars along a sidewalk, patio, or driveway. A fun way to add some festivity! Patriotic quotes are also fun to add.
· Decorate your garage door like a giant flag using roll paper.
· Create large tissue paper balls using red, white and blue tissue. Hang from trees or from wires above a table.
· Make newspaper paper balls and spray with red, white or blue spray paint or glitter. Hang as you would tissue balls.
· Paint metal buckets or large pieces of masonite or sheetrock with red or blue chalkboard paint. Place around the yard Let guests write on the boards or write messages on the painted containers. This is also cute if you can find large frames to frame the boards.
· Use a die cut machine to cut various sizes of stars from red, white and blue cardstock. Hang from trees. Stars are also cute cut from newspaper or book pages or other creative materials.
· Create large pinwheels from red, white and blue poster board and place along a pathway. Tissue balls also look cute on sticks along a pathway or as yard stakes.
· Spray glass canning jars with red or blue glass paint (use contact paper to mask stars if desired) and add wire handles. Place candles inside for cool outdoor lighting. Hang from metal hooks low to the ground or from trees or other hooks.
· Place red and blue glow sticks in jars and vases. This looks cool when filled with water at night.
· Make a simple banner to hang along a fence line or above a picnic table. Simply cut triangles from various pieces of red, white and blue fabrics and attach/sew to a rope, twill tape or ribbon. Be creative and use burlap, denim, cotton, cheesecloth, net, etc.
· Attach flags or patriotic paper napkins to a ribbon to create a garland.
· Add patriotic cupcake liners to white strands of Christmas lights to make darling patio lighting.
· Use patriotic wrapping paper to cover picnic tables.
· Cover picnic tables with white paper and place red and blue crayons on them so everyone can color on the table covering.
· Make whimsical centerpieces by wrapping glass jars and vases with red white and blue yarn.
· Paint an assortment of chairs and small tables in patriotic colors and use on a patio during the summer. Check out yard sales and thrift stores for inexpensive and unique pieces.
· Paint the top of a wood picnic table like the American flag.
· Create fun centerpieces by painting assorted candlesticks red, white and blue. Place down the center of a table. Vases, pots, boxes, etc. can also be painted and used as centerpieces.
· Place assorted containers and jars down the center of a table filled with assorted different red, white and blue candies.
· Spray paint a variety of larger picture frames with red, white and blue paint (check out thrift stores for frames). Hang from ribbons/tuelle from trees throughout the yard. These are fun photo stations and simple but cute décor.
· Tie-dye a flat white sheet with red and blue for a fun tablecloth.
· If picnicking outside on a windy day, place a patriotic fitted sheet over the top of the picnic table for a cloth.
· Place buckets (metal or new plastic beach pails) or baskets filled with the makings for s'mores down the center of a table which doubles as a centerpiece and dessert.
· Place containers of popcorn down the center of a table. Make plain, caramel, red or blue popcorn, etc. Place a container with paper sacks or cones for guests to scoop the popcorn into or layer red, white and blue popcorn in cellophane bags and use as centerpieces that double as favors. Popcorn is an inexpensive and easy food to serve as guests mingle out of doors.
· Fill blue and white buckets with red cherries and place around the serving area - these are fun centerpieces as well as snacks.
· Dip red apples into white candy coating approximately ½ way up and then in blue sprinkles or place in a blue cupcake paper. Place a small American flag on a stick in the apple. Place down center of a table. Cute!
· Make sugar cookie stars with blue or red candy "glass" centers. Simply cut out the center using a smaller star cuter, place on foil and fill small star with crushed hard candy and bake. Place a hole in the top and hang over a table or place in containers on table for décor. If possible a tree branch suspended over a table would look cute with these cookies hanging from it.
· Place chips made from tortillas cut in star shapes and baked (tomato tortillas or flour with spices) and salsa/dips down the center of a table.
· Back clear plates with patriotic paper, symbols or patriotic facts. Simply use spray adhesive to the front of the item and adhere to back of plate. It can easily be removed.
· Wrap sandwiches in red, white and blue paper strips with ribbon and use as a focal point on a table.
· Make red and blue Playdoh and place in the center of tables for guests to use while they are waiting on the grill. Place a list nearby of patriotic items (liberty bell, star, flag, Uncle Sam, eagle, etc.) for them to sculpt. This is great for kids outdoors.
· Have a bubble station with all sorts of bubble making items in red and blue colors for kids to use. A great outdoor activity during picnics and BBQ's for kids.